(Today’s guest poster is Andrew Klavan who published this piece on PJ Media. The headline is mine, the Push-Back President. Trump is the first president to reject in public the nincompoop notions of the left, and he makes no bones about it. He rubs it in their faces and laughs out loud, a fun guy. This is the main cause of the mental illness known as Trump Derangement Syndome.)
* * * *
In general, I’m a free speech purist. I think you should be able to say any damn thing you please. But that doesn’t mean you should be able to say it anywhere and anytime.
I think police should be allowed to remove hecklers who prevent an audience from hearing the speaker they came to hear, or haul away a diner who stands up in a restaurant and starts spewing curses at the Martians in his fillings.
I deplore companies that fire or punish employees for expressing their ideas on their own time, even though it’s legal to do so. But I don’t think those companies have to tolerate such speech in the workplace or when it might reasonably appear to be an expression of the company’s point of view.
That’s why I see no free speech violation, even in spirit, in the NFL’s ruling that players should not disrespect the flag during the National Anthem. The players were taking that action on company time, in company uniform, while doing the company’s business, representing the company and, clearly, hurting the company’s bottom line.
And because I see no violation, I have to agree with the tweet of Vice President Mike Pence that the new rule represents “#winning” for the American people. Here’s why.
The NFL anthem controversy is a prime example of how Donald Trump is doing something of yuge importance that conservatives never think to do, and that intellectual conservatives don’t even seem to understand needs doing. He is challenging — and often changing — the left’s narrative.
The narrative is essentially a set of assumptions so pervasive that people are afraid to oppose them. They think they are alone in disagreeing with those assumptions and they fear they will be deemed immoral by the majority.
For a long time, the left has controlled this narrative by dominating and censoring the means of communication: social media, the news networks, Hollywood and the academies.
The left makes outlandish ideas seem mainstream.
They use these instruments to make outlandish ideas seem mainstream. That America is racist and oppressive. That men and women are interchangeable. That abortion is something other than an atrocity. That capitalism is somehow an evil despite its manifest blessings. And so on.
This technique is enormously powerful and has serious repercussions. Look at Starbucks behaving like a broken prisoner at a Stalinist show trial.
The narrative convinced them that they behaved badly simply for behaving like a business. In ejecting two poorly behaved trespassers, they merely claimed their right to use their private property for profit. But it is private property and profit that gives us Starbucks in the first place. And iPhones and computers and movies and all the rest.
Companies do not make these things for fun and they have no obligation to let you use them for free. If Starbucks were not drowning in left-wing assumptions — the left-wing narrative that capitalism is somehow inherently mean and wrong — they would have stood up for their right to eject unpaying trespassers, and they would have won.
Instead, they have to endure the absolutely absurd accusation that they are somehow racist because the trespassers were black — another nonsensical left-wing assumption. Phooey.
This is why it has been so terribly frustrating for many of us that conservatives have for so long allowed these assumptions to go unchallenged and have even seemed to accept them themselves.
Why did the first President Bush promise a “kinder, gentler” America after the Reagan years? Why did W. Bush call his conservatism “compassionate conservatism”? Aren’t the wealth and freedom provided by conservative governance kind and gentle enough, compassionate enough in themselves? Why were they making apologies for good ideas?
They bought the narrative and lost the country.
Those on the right who continue to hammer the president for being a flawed man should instead be asking themselves: Why did it take such a man to finally start pushing conservative ideas again?
It was because the left had been allowed to define the terms of our decency, and it required a man without much regard for decency to stand up to them and begin to govern by the decent, moral, freedom-giving principles of traditional Americanism.
Among those principles is respect for our flag and the liberties and justice it represents. It should not be the accepted norm that you can insult that flag while the rest of the nation is expected to eat the insult and send you fame and money in return.
Screw that noise. Donald Trump was right to challenge the narrative. It’s not trivial. It’s important. And the fact that he made his point represents, yes, #winning.
(A quarter of a century ago when I still voted for the notably different Democrat Party, still lived in Houston with my second wife, I enjoyed watching Dennis Prager’s television show. Prager is a conservative Jew, a radio talk-show host, author and columnist. Even back in those days, I always agreed with him, which means I was a conservative at heart. I just had not quite seen the light.
(Prager is the source of one of my favorite quotes, one of those I have in the right sidebar here: “The usurpation of the word ‘liberal’ by the left has been a catastrophe.” The left’s superior skill with words often leaves conservatives coughing in the dust. But without further ado, here’s Dennis Prager.)
* * * *
The only way to save Western civilization is to convince more people that leftism — not liberalism — is a nihilistic force. Quite literally, whatever the left touches it ruins. So, here is a partial listing of the damage done by the left and the Democratic Party:
The most obvious is the near destruction of most American universities as places of learning. In the words of Harvard professor Steven Pinker — an atheist and a liberal — outside of the natural sciences and a few other disciplines (such as mathematics and business) “universities are becoming laughingstocks of intolerance.”
If you send your children to a university, you are endangering both their minds and their characters. There is a real chance they will be more intolerant and more foolish after college than they were when they entered college.
When you attend an American university, you are taught to have contempt for America and its founders, to prefer socialism to capitalism, to divide human beings by race and ethnicity. You are taught to shut down those who differ with you, not to debate them. And you are taught to place feelings over reason — which is a guaranteed route to eventual evil.
The left has ruined most of the arts. The following three examples are chosen because they are scatological, a favorite form of left-wing artistic expression. Before the left poisoned the arts, art was intended to elevate the viewer (or listener). But to the left, “elevate” is a meaningless term; it is far more at home depicting urine, fecal matter and menstrual blood.
In 2011, a lifelike German sculpture depicting a policewoman squatting and urinating — even the puddle is sculpted — received an award from a prestigious German foundation, the Leinemann Foundation for Fine Art.
In 2013, the Orange County Museum of Art in California placed a huge 28-foot sculpture of a dog outside the museum, where it periodically urinates a yellow fluid onto a museum wall.
In 2016, one of the most prestigious art museums in the world, the Guggenheim in New York, featured a pure-gold working toilet bowl, which visitors were invited to use. The name of the exhibit was “America” — so one could literally relieve oneself on America.
Thanks to the left, The Philadelphia Orchestra, one of the greatest orchestras in the world, allowed itself to become a voice of leftist hate last week. It featured the premiere of Philadelphia Voices, “a political rant put to musical garbage,” as some musically knowledgeable Philadelphians described it to me. In the fifth movement, titled “My House Is Full of Black People,” the black teen narrator chants the following lines: “The county is full of black people/ All wanting to be heard/ While old white men draw lines on maps/ To shut all of them up.” Later in the movement, he yells, “If you would all just f—-ing listen!”
On the left, that’s considered art.
And, of course, such politicization of the arts is accepted as the norm.
Indeed, that’s part of the left’s poisoning of everything — its politicization of everything.
The left is increasingly poisoning sports. In most football stadiums this past season, one could not attend an NFL game without being subjected to left-wing contempt for America and its flag.
So, too, one cannot watch late-night television if one desires to simply be entertained before drifting off to sleep. Jimmy Kimmel, Stephen Colbert and other hosts have changed late-night TV into left-night TV. Why merely be funny when you can use your monologues to advance your left-wing views?
The left has poisoned mainstream religion. Mainstream Protestantism, non-Orthodox Judaism and much of the Catholic Church — including and especially Pope Francis — are essentially left-wing advocacy groups with religious symbols.
The left is destroying the unique American commitment to free speech. Almost half of incoming college freshmen do not believe in free speech for what they deem “hate speech” (merely taking issue with a left-wing position is, in the left’s view, “hate speech”). They do not understand that the whole point of free speech is allowing the expression of opposing ideas, including what we consider “hate speech.”
The left has poisoned race relations. America is the least racist multiracial society in the world. On a daily basis, Americans of every race and ethnicity get along superbly. But the black left and the white left constantly poison young minds with hate-filled diatribes against whites, “white privilege,” “systemic racism,” black dorms, black graduations, lies about the events in Ferguson, Missouri, and the like.
The left has made innumerable women unhappy, even depressed, with its decades of lying about how female sexual nature and male sexual nature are identical — leading to a “hookup” culture that leaves vast numbers of young women depressed — and its indoctrinating of generations of young women into believing they will be happier through career success than marital success.
And, in some ways scariest of all, the left is poisoning our children with its commitment to ending male and female as distinct categories. One of the great joys of life, celebrating one’s sex, is now deemed nothing more than a hateful idea in many of your children’s schools.
For these and other reasons, if you treasure American and Western civilization, fighting the left — something all liberals and conservatives need to do — is the greatest good you can engage in at this time.
KING TRUMP was crowned one year ago today, and a glorious year it has been. In no particular order, read and rejoice at this partial list of accomplishments:
- No planes crashed. Last year there were no fatalities in commercial air travel. Worldwide! That was the first year ever. It was, of course, also the first year of King Trump’s reign. Coincidence? I think not.
- Unlike Obama, Trump does not kowtow to foreign bigwigs, especially the really nasty ones, and there are lots of really nasty ones. Trump is no throne-sniffer. Weepy Barry Obama was a world-class throne-sniffer.
- The economy took heart at the election of The Donald sending the stock market into record territory. The Dow soared 31 percent. Money is good, as is capitalism. Socialism baaaad. The Democrats’ economic God, the sleazy Paul Krugman, said the global economy would collapse if Trump became president. Whoops-a-daisy! Back to the drawing board wid ya, Paul, ya nincompoop!
- The overall unemployment rate has fallen, but did you know that the jobless rate for blacks has dipped to the lowest level since 1972? Yes, those very same people who voted against the Donald in droves like clueless, black sheep have had their job opportunities rise in Trump’s first year in the Oval Office.
- Put Neil Gorsuch, an upstanding man, on the Supreme Court.
- “Climate Change” is removed from the national threat list, whatever that is. Anyway, it’s good to make it official that climate changes sometimes, and there’s not much of anything you can do aside from sending Al Gore a financial contribution. But there are other, even better, changes to the national security strategy. Just take a look.
- Israel, Christianity and Judaism back on top with Trump! It’s important to remember that Israel, unlike the Mohammedan states, does not oppress women who are included in the military. Mohammedan women are never in their military because they can hardly step outdoors without a male chaperone.
- Trumpian tax cuts are boosting economic confidence! Last year was the best for U.S. manufacturing since 2004.
- The Mohammedan murderers in ISIS have taken it on the chin since Trump entered the Oval Office. ISIS made lots of progress during the eight years of Weepy Barry, but dem days are over!
- Trump cuts $255 million in military aid to Pakistan for 2018 due to Pakistan’s lame efforts against terrorism. It was Pakistan where Osama bin Laden was hiding in plain sight near a Pakistani military base. In response, Afghan elders awarded King Trump with a genuine gold Medal of Bravery.
- In a similar vein, Trump’s United Nations ambassador, the staunch Nikki Haley, announced in late December a fat reduction in U.S. funding to the United Nations to the tune of $285 million smackeroos. My hope is that the United States will come to its complete senses and toss the anti-American United Nations into the Atlantic Ocean. Be gone ye knaves and nincompoops!
- The swamp level is falling, just like he promised. Hundreds of federal positions have been eliminated in the first year of Trump’s glorious reign.
- During the presidential campaign, Trump vowed to kill two regulations for every new regulation issued. In fact, far more than two have been zapped for each new regulation. Regulations generally hamper the economy and citizens.
- Trump pushes for voter-identification laws. Sensible nations require voter ID. Mexico does. I have mine. The Democrats don’t want voter ID because so many of their voters are not legal voters.
- The recent citizen protests in Iran were loudly supported by Trump. When something similar happened in 2009, Weepy Barry kept his mouth shut. Sad.
- And just this week, King Trump announced the Fake News Awards. Not surprisingly, CNN scored big-time.
- And one more time: No airliners crashed. Anywhere!
You likely saw few or none of these stories in publications like the failing New York Times and the leftist Washington Post.* And, as we head into the second year of King Trump’s glorious reign, clueless, dreamy-eyed leftists across the nation continue to wail, pout and kick their heels on the floor because they lost the election, fair and square.
What’s not to love?
* * * *
* A recent nonpartisan study showed that about 90 percent of mainstream media stories about Trump over the past year were negative. Yuge bias! Sad.